Sunday, July 5, 2015

The Dream of a Caste less India




The story of three men who are fighting for a caste-less society in India.

Gopinath, Haran Suba and Kishore are the three doting fathers who have decided to free their children from the century-old caste system by simply not choosing to fill a small box in the admission form. 

T. Gopinath is a creative media professional who rejects the doctrines of caste system. He narrates how he stood by his belief during the admission of his six-year old son as he recalls it like it happened yesterday,

“We had just filled the admission form when the lady in charge returned it with a smile, ‘Sir, you have, by mistake, given NA in the caste column. Please check it.’ I replied, ‘No, I didn’t forget it. I don’t know what caste he is.’ She shook her head and said that I need to fill something. ‘If you don’t give a caste then your child will not get any Government benefits slotted for that caste.’ I laughed, ‘He is my child and not the government’s, so I trust I can take care of his future.’ His admission was sealed and hopefully, a new path has been set for my next generation, all thanks to my supportive wife.”

Haran Suba, a 35-year old father with a UGC NET in hand, took the decision of keeping his seven-year-old daughter Surekha out of the caste equation. He knocked the doors of several colleges, only to be turned down by minorities who preferred candidates from their own religion.

When questioned about societal inequality, he says, “In fact, even people from the so-called lower castes treat certain sub-castes within their community as secondary citizens. It is just pathetic.”
He believes that for equality to prevail one has to remove caste-based oppression of every kind.

Haran Suba currently runs his own firm ‘Hello Talent’ academy that encourages extra-curricular activities in children.

Another freethinker is Mr. P. Kishore, a Chennai-based software professional whose origins made him a firm believer of social equality.
“My parents come from different castes and religions and yet that never was a problem at home. I have watched them lead a peaceful life. Social equality is possible; we just need to remove our resistance to change.” -

When asked about his opinion as a father, he says, “My daughter Shauna will not have a caste and I know she needs to compete under the open category without any quota, but so be it. I believe the next generation will change for the better.”

While reservation may be needed till caste-based discrimination is fully erased, these men have taken a small step towards a bigger dream – a society that discriminates none. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your Comments

Posibilities pf Mergers: India & Maldives

  There are a number of reasons why the Maldives might merge with India in the future. These include: Cultural and historical ties: The Mal...